Tuesday, June 7, 2011

101 Things to Do in Bongolia

Electric Cowbell Records is an independent record label based in Brooklyn, NY specializing in pressing the freshest new music to 45's. I first heard of Electric Cowbell when label founder Jim Thomson handed me a 45 while I was spinning at Southpaw last summer. "How'd you like a piece of vinyl?" he said as he reached across the turntables. "I'd love one," I responded. He handed me a copy of Think (Pensamiento) by Spanglish Fly backed with Let My People Bugalu and said, "That's what I thought." Not coincidentally, Superhuman Happiness was on the bill that night, the other Electric Cowbell 45 handed to me that night by Stuart Bogie.

"GMYL" | Superhuman Happiness by Calabro Music Media

Both bands are featured on 101 Things to Do in Bongolia, Electric Cowbell's first digital release compilation. Dozens of DJ's across NY could probably recount stories identical to mine. Electric Cowbell is the essence of a grassroots, guerrilla marketing, old-school indy record label. No corporate money to finance PR campaigns, fancy packaging or major distribution. They're an artist-run operation dedicated to putting out good music, plain and simple.

Bands featured on the comp include Bio Ritmo, Debo Band, CSC Funk Band, Amazing Ghost, and several more. This comp gives listeners a taste of some of the best music happening in NY today. It's like a snapshot of a musical family that stretches across genres and styles. Use it as an introduction and dig deeper into any and/or all of the bands that sound good to you. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: